Here’s our latest roundup of cybersecurity news and events happening in Asia.
- Singapore Health Ministry warns of Phishing Email Scam on its Website
- Hyatt says data breach hit 250 hotels since August. Among those listed was Grand Hyatt Singapore, with the company saying the dates at risk ranged between Aug 13 to Dec 8 last year.
- Online scams: Singaporeans easy targets, says one scammer
- Man who ‘harvested’ 293 SingPass accounts pleads guilty. Sim successfully “harvested” the login details of hundreds of SingPass users in this manner, and would then forward the details of these users, including their names and addresses, to “Lemon”, who in turn would use them in the sham visa applications.
- Hackers attack Thai websites over 2 Myanmar workers’ death sentences for murders of Britons
- PH remains high on cybersecurity risk list
- Nissan shuts websites after anti-whaling cyberattack
- A South Korean entertainment company criticised for its handling of a row over a teenage Taiwanese K-pop star’s flag waving has had its website brought down by hackers, a spokesman says.
- Indian hackers target Pakistan government websites to avenge Pathankot attack
- Cyber Security Agency looking to strengthen online security in every sector
- A Cyber Security Bill will be introduced to give the new Cyber Security Agency greater powers to protect national systems, such as those in the energy and transport sectors, from cyber threats.
- A National Cybersecurity R&D Laboratory at the National University of Singapore (NUS) will be operational by the end of this year
- IDA, MDA to be restructured to capitalise on converging media and ICT landscape
- Phone users to get better protection from hackers
- Cyber security is being taught to rural folks as a means to make a living under a programme by the Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation.
Cyber Security (East Asia):
- Japan to reinforce cybersecurity hiring, training and countermeasures ahead of 2020 Olympics
- The government will likely request manufacturers to be responsible for the security of Internet of Things (IoT, see below) devices sold to consumers to defend against cyber-attacks
Cyber Security (South Asia):
- India to build talent pool for cyber security industry
- Cyber security: Israel wants joint ecosystem with India
- Parrikar opens defence university in city
- The Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In) and its counterparts in Malaysia, Singapore and Japan have signed three pacts for cooperation in cyber security.
About Ashlee Ang
Ashlee is a content writer at Cyber Secure Asia where she writes about introductory topics on cyber security and cyber-related happenings in Singapore & South East Asia.