As we inch towards the new year, we bring you the latest roundup of cyber security news, content, and happenings surrounding Asia.
- Phishing attacks on Singapore Central Provident Fund (CPF) Website
- Singapore Immigration and Checkpoint Authority (ICA) reported on fake websites phishing for visitors visa numbers and passport numbers.
- Bankers professionals in Singapore are increasingly concerned about financial and cyber crime as well as macro-economic situation
- Cyber crimes in Malaysia, particularly “love scams” saw losses increase almost four-fold this year
- Anonymous hacks Thailand Police Server Against Internet Censorship
- Japan at risk of cyber attacks on its essential infrastructure by Islamic State
- Hackers crashed Japan’s PM website to protest whale hunt
- Japanese creator of Hello Kitty, Sanrio launched an investigation into a report flaw on its official fan website that allegedly exposed private information on 3.3 million accounts.
- A major cyberattack against Australia’s Bureau of Meterology that may have compromised potentially sensitive national security information is being blamed on China
Cyber Security (South East Asia):
- Singapore and UK collaborate on research to tackle cyber threats
- Singapore banks increasing efforts to adapt to digital landscape. Top concerns facing banks was criminality, mainly related to cybercrime and fraud.
- Cyber security becoming key concern for Singapore nation: DPM Teo
- Malaysia Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad says Malaysia is keen to beef up cyber security enforcement to curb influence of online terrorism.
- Thailand’s draft data protection bill is expected to go through the National Legislative Assembly (NLA) debate within the next four months.
- Vietnam Deputy Prime Minister Hoang Trung Hai meets with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to beef up co-operation. One area is cyber security technology.
- Vietnam welcomes all actions contributing to regional peace including areas such as cyber defence and bio-security.
- Cybersecurity knowledge gap in Vietnam could be putting users at risk, reports ESET
- The Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) has stepped up measures to provide a safe, secure and healthy cyber environment for the financial services industry.
Cyber Security (East Asia):
- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has made a speech expressing his honor to be selected as the winner of the Boston Global Forum’s (BGF) World Leader for Cybersecurity award.
- China’s Draft Cybersecurity Law
- US, China to step up cyber security effort
- Cybersecurity market growing in China
Cyber Security (South Asia):
- Warning that the Third World War would be a ‘cyber war’, BJP member Tarun Vijay on Wednesday demanded setting up of a separate ministry for cyber security, saying India was the “second largest victim” of these attacks.
- India signed two MoUs with Malaysia on Cyber Security
- India has called for a truly global convention to fight cybercrime and to ensure cyber-security.
- The Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University (JNTU) has come up with a special course in cyber security, given the huge interest of students in the emerging subject.
- Mumbai Police releases cyber security awareness poster, says choose what you share wisely
- India Has Raised Cyber-Spying Concerns With US: VK Singh
About Ashlee Ang
Ashlee is a content writer at Cyber Secure Asia where she writes about introductory topics on cyber security and cyber-related happenings in Singapore & South East Asia.